Dear Valued Members:
As we are well aware, the new Palisades Village will be opening on September 22, 2018. This will be the biggest thing to happen to the Palisades in many, many years, maybe ever. It will forever change the shopping and dining habits of our residents. Palisadians will have many more reasons to shop and dine locally, offering existing businesses an excellent opportunity gain new customers.
The old saying, “the rising tide raises all boats” will hold true for the entire Village area, but only if you are ready for this influx of shoppers and diners. You must compete with the new, shiny, and attractive Village. Our businesses outside the new Village area must take action quickly to improve and refresh the appearance of your stores and restaurants. These improvements do not have to cost a lot of money to make a big, noticeable impact. You should speak with your property owner or management company to inquire what improvements they have planned, but please do not wait for the property owner to take action. September 22nd is fast approaching.
Please consider the following points:
- Wash Your Windows: Sparkling windows make everything look better.
- Clean: Scrub the sidewalk in front of your business. Do a thorough cleaning of the interior, including the bathroom.
- Replace old and damaged fixtures.
- Signage: If your exterior sign is dated or dirty, replace it or clean it. Update your interior signage. Make it attractive and clear.
- Front Door: Pay special attention to your front door, making sure it is in near perfect condition. Keep the door open during business hours.
- Paint Outside and Inside: The least expensive improvement with the biggest impact.
- Plants Outside and Inside: Colorful outside, large house plants inside, all potted in nice quality, coordinated pots, matching your décor.
- Awning: If your awning is worn, replacing it with a tasteful, new awning makes your front door much more inviting and your business more noticeable. If your awning is in good shape but dirty, please clean it.
- Offer a New Line/Items: Shop stores similar to yours in Santa Monica, Brentwood, Malibu and Century City for product and merchandising ideas. Be BOLD!
- Furniture: If your space allows, add a comfortable chair and small table.
- Refreshments: Offer coffee, water, cookies, etc. to your customers. If you have the space, allocate a small space for a table with an attractive display of these items. If you prefer no drinking in your stores, just offer a small snack.
- Staffing: Make certain you have adequate, effective, informed staff. Award prizes to employees when they provide great customer service or when a customer compliments them.
- Chamber Events: Attend our events and network with other businesses, discussing what they are doing.
It’s an excellent time to take a critical look at the appearance of your business. Please continue to check out PalisadesChamber.com for ongoing updates and our expanding calendar of upcoming and ongoing events. Jump Start Networking Breakfasts and After Hours Networking Mixers are excellent outlets to share ideas.
Susan Payne, Chair
Pacific Palisades Chamber of Commerce